To ensure safety in the water, we need to know each child’s capabilities before water activities are undertaken. All Nippers from U8 – U14 need to complete a swim evaluation.
If you are 1) U8; 2) U9; 3) new to the club or Nippers (exc U6 and U7); we need to understand your level of proficiency in the water so that we can make sure we have the appropriate water safety arrangements in place. You will need to attend one of the two Mandatory Swim Evaluation sessions to be held at Aqua Culture Swim, Brookvale (details below).
U6 & U7 are not required to swim a length, instead it is more about regaining footing if they are knocked over. We will conduct this younger group evaluation at the beach in the first few sessions of Sunday Nippers.
For returning Nippers U10 and above, we will assess you at the beach during the initial weeks of Sunday Nippers.
If you are U9+ and a member of our competition teams, you can be assessed at mid-week yellow, lime or green squad training or a Nipper Sunday. “Competition Proficiency” assessment is required – 200 metre ocean swim around the cans/buoys. Conditions on the day may vary the distance. Make sure you get your name marked off once completed.
Any child that does not meet the required evaluation can still participate in Nippers, we just need a higher level of supervision (1:1) when involved in water-based activities. In the case of a 1:1 ratio we may require a parent to assist in addition to a qualified water safety volunteer.
Our standard ratio for proficient nippers is 1:5 qualified adult to children.
Any questions about the proficiency requirements, please post a question in your What’s app group (will get a much faster response!) or email email@example.com
MANDATORY SWIM EVALUATION – WHAT TO EXPECT ON THE DAY
- Sat, 14 Oct from 1pm to 3:00pm @ Aqua Culture Swim, Brookvale or
- Sat, 21 Oct from 1pm to 3:00pm @ Aqua Culture Swim, Brookvale
- Arrive anytime between 1pm and 3pm
- Bring your googles!
- Child entry payable at gate $6.60 plus GST ($7.37 inc GST and merchant fee). Supervising parents are free.
- Look out for our coloured shirts!
- The assessment should take 15 minutes once in the water. Details of the assessment requirements for each age group are set out below
- Please be patient. There is a lot of coordination and paperwork involved, so we would love your help! The more helpers we have the quicker we will get through this together!
CAN YOU ASSIST WITH ASSESSMENTS?
We cannot do this without helpers. We are all volunteer parents of Nippers too! So if you are able to help, please let us know via email – firstname.lastname@example.org. We would love to see a team of helpers!
On the day volunteers will be asked to assist the Age Managers to watch children, maybe tick off names from a list.